Chapter 4-Why revival tarries-Leonard Ravenhill
Revival in a bone Yard
- Ezekiel 37:1-14 : ” The hand of the Lord was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones…..and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry……Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord!……So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet—a vast army. “..;oD
- Does History, sacred or profane, offer a more ridiculous picture than this? Here is hopelessness incarnate.Who ever had such a dumb audience?
- Preachers deal with possibilities,prophets deal with impossibilities!
- Isaiah had seen this nation full of wounds and putrefying sores;but disease had galloped onto death, death to disintegration, and now these disjointed bones spell out despair. written all over the whole situation in large capitals is I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y.
- Prophets are lone men:they walk alone,pray alone, and God makes them alone.
- At this grim hour, the world sleeps in darkness, and the Church sleeps in the light.So Christ is wounded in the house of His friends.” The limping church militant is derively called the church impotent.Yearly we use mountains of paper and rivers of ink reprinting dead men’s brains,while the living holy Ghost is seeking for men to trample underfoot their own learning, deflate their inflated ego, and confess that with all their seeing they are blind.
- A sober church never does any good.At this hour we need men drunk with the Holy Ghost.Has God excelled Himself? Were Wesley,Whitefield, Finney,Hudson Taylor special editions of ministers? Never! If I read the Book of Acts , they were just the norm!
- ( back to the dry bones) – With only one breath from his omnipotent lips,God could have raised this heap to life,but no-there were to be many operations.First bones came together- producing ‘skeletons’—what good are skeletons?–too often today blind guides count ‘skeletons’ who come to the altar-moved certainly ,but not yet born-—–churches: a valley full of corpses—any good to God ?Not yet?.They have eyes but cannot see,hands but cannot fight,feet but cannot walk-so are those who are seeking-until this last thing happens:”Ezekiel held on -he resisted doubt..and obeyed-prophesied again and they LIVED!