The Believer’s experience
- God is so adamant against the flesh and its every activity; yet the believer appears to reject only its bad features while clinging affectionately to the flesh itself.
- Only after many years does one gradually come to realize how untrustworthy is his flesh.
- There is uncleanness even in his best effort.
- God consequently lets him experience Romans 7 deeply until he is ready to acknowledge with Paul: I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh” (v.18). How hard to learn to say this genuinely!
- If it were not for countless experiences of painful defeat ( orchestrated by God ) the believer would continue to trust himself and consider himself able.